Killing Windows Live Messenger Photo Share "Feature"
(This post applies to version 14.0.8089.726)
Several versions ago windows live messenger decided it would be best to make the photo sending experience horrible. If you want “attachment” based functionality where you can actual open, see it, zoom, basically make the image sent usable, the windows live team decided it wasn't going to support it anymore.
I’m only putting this post together so I can quickly send people who are complaining about it to fix it on their machines. The following posts give a full explanation.
This is the best resource, but only works for older versions.
This covers the new version, but he only provided his site and not the post url, so you might have to dig for it.
- Completely exit Microsoft Messenger
- Download XVI32.
- With XVI32, open c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
- Browse in file to location: 0×164118
- Change the Hex Code “74” to “EB”
- Close the program and save the file.
- Download this fixed version. ONLY version 14.0.8089.726
- Put in path C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger
Luckily this seems to fix even when people without the fix send files and they come in correctly.